Tuesday

Nine.

“Base, Davey, base, Davey.”

“Davey to base. Go ahead, man.”

“Got one at Richardson-Anders. RICHARDSON-ANDERS. Copy.”

“Yeah, okay, Richardson-Anders. Where to?”

“Uh…hang on.”

“Copy.”

Tap tap tap.

“Okay, I don’t have the address yet. DON’T HAVE THE ADDRESS YET.”

“Okay, so, what? Do I pick it up and wait or…?”

“Pick it up and head for the City. HEAD FOR THE CITY WITH THE PACKAGE.”

“Uh…okay. Hey, do you know that it’s like four thirty? I’m gonna get hosed in traffic.”

“Yeah, you’re on time, not distance. There and back. You’ll do good on this one. YOU’RE ON TIME, YOU’LL DO GOOD ON THIS ONE.”

“Okay. Call you when I’ve got it.”


“Davey to base.”

“Copy, Davey. You’ve got it on board?”

“Yeah, no problem. Getting on ninety-five right now. Traffic is moving at about three miles an hour.”

“..skkkk…”

“Base?”

“Sorry. Yeah, I know. Ten-ten wins is saying the Hutch is better. TAKE THE HUTCHINSON PARKWAY.”

“Copy. Got an address for me yet?”

“…skkkk…”

Tap tap tap.

“Sorry. Yeah, no address yet. Head for midtown. MIDTOWN MANHATTAN.”

“Right. At rush hour. I’m gonna die out here, you know that, right?”

“…skkk…”

“That’s a joke, base.”

“Right. Take the Hutch and call when you hit the Bronx.”

“Copy, base.”

Tap tap tap.

“Davey to base.”

“Base, Davey. Go ahead.”

“Hey, what’s the hourly for this gig?”

“Uh…hang on.”

“Copy.”

Tap tap tap.

“Base, Davey.”

“Yeah, go ahead.”

“THIRTY-EIGHT an hour. THIRTY-EIGHT AN HOUR.”

“Yo, what?”

“Told you that you’d do good on this one. TOLD YOU YOU’D DO GOOD.”

“Jesus, no kidding. Okay, I’m heading south just as slowly as I can get away with.”

“…skkk…”

“That’s a joke, base.”

“…skkk…”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home